Thursday, August 5, 2010

Movin' on up (one day)

It's no secret that husband and I are desperately trying to get out of our one bedroom condo. I bought the condo when I was 22 and in all of my wisdom, I thought 731 sq feet would be adequate living space. At the time I had just started dating this great guy, but it had only been four months, so probably not the real deal, right? well almost 4 1/2 years later we're married and have two dogs. In 731 sq feet (that includes the balcony).

Now that I'm at the ripe age of 26 (and 11 months) I've learned that this may not have been the best purchase. We bought at the height of the real estate market and have lost about 1/3 of the value. Who seriously thought $270k was a bargain for 731 sq feet?

So now we're looking at townhouses for our next home purchase. There is a new development popping up in the absolute BEST location that we've been eyeing for a while. The homes are a little pricey, but they come fully loaded with whatever we've picked out. We've been hitting the open houses every weekend looking to see what else is on the market, but each house we found either leaves us making concessions, or having to do work to improve it right away. We're not exactly weekend warriors, so home improvement projects are not ideal. Giving up things like location or garages are also not high on our list.

We keep going back to the new construction houses and will hopefully end up there. Our only challenge is dumping the condo somehow. If we sold right now we'd be out about 30k which is not so appealing. We're saving and waiting and crossing our fingers that as soon as the lot is available that we want, we can simultaneously sell the condo to break even.

So in the meantime I've been daydreaming about how I'll decorate each room when the time comes. I'm going to work on some mood boards to share with everyone.

Do you have a future home you mentally decorate? Are you ready to move to a bigger space?

Do you have an easy way to create mood boards?

No comments:

Post a Comment