Saturday, September 25, 2010

I Made It! Birthday Banner

So enough daydreaming about a house I don't have and wishing for things to just happen. It's time to actually do something! I'm starting a weekly series called I Made It! It will feature the current projects I'm working on around the house. I'm trying to ignite my creativity and try my hand at DIY projects.

My first project was a fairly simple one. My nephew is turning one in about two weeks. I wanted to make a birthday banner for him. It had to be something that can be stored easily and used for both of the boys. The older brother has his birthday out of town every year since it falls the week our family is in Barbados each year, so I wanted something that could be packed up small.

I've been loving the circle and flag paper banners that I've been seeing since wedding planning. Something like this is what I had in mind for my inspiration:




(From Martha Stewart Weddings)

I headed over to Michael's to pick up letter stencils and some blue and green cardstock. I used an Exacto Knife to cut out the letters. I then used a soup can and a margarita glass to trace the circles. After a lot of cutting, here's what I ended up with:



I was pretty pleased with the result!!! After trial and error, I realized it was better to have the ribbon run along the top of the letters rather than the middle. I can't wait to show my sister what I made for her boys!!!

Stay tuned for other projects coming up in the future!!! I'll try to post on Fridays or Saturdays so you still have time to try your own project over the weekend. 

Happy Crafting!

2 comments:

  1. I'm very excited about this! I'm making over our office/guest bedroom/craft room/my closet this month and I'm having a lot of fun doing it. Can't wait to see what crafts you come up with =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and love it!

    We're on a very tight budget (does my name give it away?) so I'm always looking for ways to make our place cute without breaking the bank! let's just say it's a lot of creativity : P

    ReplyDelete